Sunday, April 25, 2010

Austin, TX, and the Texas Hill Country








So I made it to Austin, my birthplace and the land of my terrific aunt and uncle, Zeke and Karen. I got here on Thursday. On Friday, we went to the darling little town of Fredericksburg, ate lunch at a really cute courtyard restaurant (Rather Sweets), and then walked around the shops for a little while.

The main attraction, however, occurred after we left Fredericksburg. We drove the Willow City Loop to look at the Texas wildflowers, which are in full swing this time of year. I saw the official Texas state flower, the bluebonnet, along with Indian paintbrushes, primroses, winecups, nettles, black-eyed Susans, saddleblankets, and so many others (although I didn't know the names of any except for the bluebonnets -- my aunt and uncle taught me the rest). I got some amazing photos, and really enjoyed looking over the Hill Country. It's amazing how beautiful Texas can be; I forget, since I usually see only Dallas, where I grew up and where most of my family still lives. And it's a city, like many others -- but seeing the wilder parts of central Texas was a revelation.

No comments:

Post a Comment